"Mobile, Mobile, Mobile!": How far have we come? How much further can we go?
I spent a lot of time traveling last month and did not have much access to my laptop. Even though I consider myself a power mobile user, I was inclined (sometimes forced) to use my mobile device more than usual. It was incredible to see how many day-to-day processes have become easier to perform on a mobile device.
This post is a work in progress that I would love your help on! I have divided the post into three separate lists.
1) Processes that we used to perform on a laptop/computer that are now replaced by mobile.
2) Processes that have been made possible only by mobile.
3) Processes that we still need a laptop/computer to perform. Perhaps these are areas where we expect future innovation/growth.
Replaced by Mobile:
- E-mail sending/receiving
- E-mail management
- Watching TV/Movies
- Ordering Food
- Reviews (yelp, foursquare)
- Social Media activities (facebook, twitter, pinterest)
- Fitness tracking (fitnesspal)
- File storage (dropbox, google drive, box)
- Payments (venmo, paypal mobile)
- Ticket purchase (eventbrite, kayak, expedia, stubhub, viagogo)
- Travel services (airbnb, hotel tonight, other transportation apps, peek)
- Mobile Ticket access (passbook, airline mobile apps)
- Expense management (concur, expensify, abacus)
- Finance (billguard, betterment, wealthfront)
- Music services (spotify, songza)
- E-book reading (kindle, iBook)
- Blogging (tumblr)
- IT management (still a long way to go but lots of downtime tracking availability on mobile now)
- CRM (salesforce, relateIQ, intercom)
- Reservations (fitness: mindbody, restaurants: opentable)
- Legal services (shakelaw)
- Productivity apps (wunderlist, evernote)
Made possible by Mobile:
- On-demand car service (uber/lyft)
- Photo capture (instagram, snapchat)
- Check-ins/Location services (social: foursquare/swarm, fitness: nike running)
- Full-suite event management/tracking (doubledutch)
- Communication (whatsapp, viber, LINE, wechat, facetime, etc.)
- Real-time navigation (waze, google maps)
- Check deposits
- On-demand beauty services (glamsquad)
- A variety of healthcare services (propeller health, doctor on demand)
- Dating (tinder, hitch) —- match and eharmony brought this to the web years ago but tinder/hitch are mobile only.
Not on Mobile yet:
- Full-suite productivity (office suite caliber)
- 3D modeling (editing/viewing/navigating)
- Heavy data analysis
- YOUR INPUT!